The inspiration behind this breakfast was simple: I was looking to include as many lactation superfoods as I could in a simple and freezable recipe! With 6 weeks left to pregnancy, I am looking for easy recipes that will help enhance my milk supply and give me energy and nutrition no matter how hectic things get around here!
In my other 2 pregnancies, nursing did NOT come easy. I was determined to try both times, but constantly felt the odds stacked against me. Neither kid was a natural to latch on, I had no one to ask questions to and even the internet wasn't as effective a tool as it is for me today. My younger daughter bit the hell out of me and my freezer with a stash of pumped milk lost power and all that milk went into the garbage. So no, my last 2 experiences weren't that sweet, but 8 years the wiser, I'm now doing things differently:
1. I hired a doula - just as much for the lactation support as for the delivery.
2. I am using natural ways including foods, essential oils and teas to enhance the milk supply BEFORE I even deliver the baby.
3. I am going to have a positive attitude and a mantra that "I can do this" (Probably the most important part!)
Here is a list of some foods I want to include in my nursing diet that hopefully will keep my supply strong both in quality and quantity (assuming my baby doesn't have any adverse reactions to these):
3. Greens, such as spinach, kale
4. Berries such as blueberries
7. Seeds including flax, sesame, chia, hemp
9. Orange Foods such as carrots and papayas
Now, if you are not pregnant or nursing, don't just pass by this recipe! You'll notice that a lot of nursing superfoods happen to be superfoods for anyone looking to enhance their nutrition! Plus they taste yummy!
Green Breakfast Pancakes (serves 2)
1 cup rolled oats
2/3 cup high protein milk
1 ripe banana
1 tablespoon baking powder
2 large handfuls spinach (I'm guessing around 4 oz)
2 tablespoons flax meal
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1 tablespoon maple syrup, optional, for kids
Blend all ingredients and cook over medium heat in a skillet with coconut oil.