Theres a lot of scary news out there about children's bath products. It seems like the most innocent looking products secretly contain toxic substances that can harm our kids- parabens, sulfates, artificial fragrances and dyes, just to name a few! If you are interested in keeping your kid's personal care items natural and clean, but don't know where to start and can't tell what's really natural from what's not, here are 4 swaps I recommend starting with:
1. Body Wash and Shampoo: Our skin is our body's largest organ and I see no reason we should constantly be lathering our kids' skin with toxic chemicals! When it comes to personal care products I find it almost impossible to read through and understand the ingredient list, so I go to my trusty EWG Healthy Living App for information on the quality of many products. If you learn nothing else from this article, download the EWG app and head to their website to learn more about the toxic chemicals in our food, cleaners and personal care products.
Swap out the problematic Johnsons and Johnsons brand with:
- Babyganics Shampoo + Body Wash, and Bubble Bath Fragrance Free, available at Target here
- Little Twig Shampoo and Conditioner (available by phone at Junk Free Beauty 917-566-6145)
- Beauty Counter Kids Line www.jaclynruth.com
2. Sunscreen: The Environmental Working Group's 2016 Guide to Sunscreens 2016 takes a comprehensive look at all the brands and types of sunscreen. This resource is invaluable until the 2017 edition comes out.
Swap out: The SPF 70+ Kid's Spray type sunblocks with:
Badger Balm sunscreen (Free Beauty 917-566-6145)
Plus, here is the full list of the best kids sunscreens according to the EWG.
3. Toothpaste: There are two completely opposing viewpoints on toothpaste. Some people say the fluoride in toothpaste is necessary for kids oral health. Others say that it causes a host of health issues including lowered IQ, raised cancer risk and reduce immune function. If you don't want to go completely fluoride free, consider having your kids alternate between toothpastes and eliminate fluorinated water from your kids' diet altogether. This has been an ongoing struggle in my house since my kids didn't like the taste of many of the ones I've tried. The two they actually will use are:
- Jack and Jill Strawberry Flavor (Junk Free Beauty 917-566-6145)
Swap out the antibacterial soaps that contain triclosan and harmful fragrances for:
Also, on the horizon, Target is bringing EWG verified products to its shelves which will make it even easier to stock your home with non- toxic products at a reasonable price!
To end off, I just want to say, I am not a scientist or a doctor, so don't take my word for any of this- check out the Environmental Working Group and other organizations out there who break down which chemicals are harmful for our kids and why. Begin to research and come to your own conclusions! This list is certainly not exhaustive of all the products I've tested on my kids, but I don't want to overwhelm you! If you are looking for specific product recommendations, you can always message me on social media, or through the blog, or drop a comment below!
Shop the Article:
This article contains affiliate links, which if you purchase, will give me a very small commission, to keep this site going.