When I began my plant based lifestyle, the label itself wasn't as popular as it is today and many peopled no clue what it meant. My husband would often tell waiters in restaurants, my wife is a plant based eater, just to see if anyone actually heard of it before! Even now there are many people out there with misconceptions about plant based eating so I just wanted to write up a small post explaining my personal views on what plant based eating is and isn't.
PLANT BASED EATING IS NOT:
1. PBE is not about adhering to one specific dietary theory such as vegetarian or vegan. You can eat a plant based diet but still eat meat, eggs and dairy.
2. PBE is not about deprivation. You do not count calories. You do not journalize. There is no celebrity spokesperson peddling products on a plant based diet.
3. PBE is not centered around weight loss. It is not a fad diet.
PLANT BASED EATING IS:
1. PBE is looking to Mother Nature to provide us with most of our nutrients, including foods such as vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds and legumes
2. PBE is looking to Mother Nature to provide us with a prescription for good health- using food to protect us from the major preventable illnesses utilizing nature's vitamins, minerals, phytonutrients and antioxidants.
3. PBE is eating mostly foods that don't come with any labels, healthy claims or ingredient lists.
4. PBE is looking at the big picture - not only how food nourishes our bodies but also our soul. It is a way of committing to co-exist with all living things on earth and make the world a wonderful, peaceful and sustainable place for future generations. For people that do eat meat, eggs and dairy, that means trying to source the most sustainable and humanely raised animals possible.
If you are new to the concept of plant based eating, or worried that there is not enough food to eat on this type of lifestyle, then check out my instagram and reach out to me on social media! I'd love to help you on your way!